Jan. 1, 2021
The standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
- 56 cents per mile for business miles driven
- 16 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act suspends the deduction for:
- Moving expenses for tax years beginning after Dec. 31, 2017, and goes through Jan. 1, 2026. No deduction is allowed for use of an automobile as part of a move using the mileage rate listed in Notice 2018-03.
- Un-reimbursed employee expenses such as uniforms, union dues and the deduction for business-related meals, entertainment and travel. The business standard mileage rate listed in Notice 2018-03, which was issued before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed, cannot be used to claim an itemized deduction for un-reimbursed employee travel expenses in taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2017, and before Jan. 1, 2026.
Source: IRS News Release and Notice